Data migration is the process of transporting data between computers, storage devices or formats.
It is a key consideration for any system implementation, upgrade or consolidation.
During data migration, software programs or scripts are used to map system data for automated migration.
Data migration is categorized as storage migration, database migration, application migration and business process migration.
These scenarios are routine IT activities, and most organizations migrate data on a quarterly basis.
The following best practices should be used to protect data during a migration:
- Understand what data you are migrating, where it lives, what form it's in and the form it will take at its new destination.
- Extract, transform and deduplicate data before moving it.
- Implement data migration policies so data is moved in an orderly manner.
- Test and validate the migrated data to ensure it is accurate.
- Audit and document the entire data migration process.